Are you planning your first holiday abroad with your little one in tow? Babies, as we all know, sure do come with a lot of baggage! Given the luggage allowances you will need to abide by, it’s well worth pausing to really think about what is truly essential and what is not! It’s a good idea to invest in some home luggage weighing scales, as trying to repack/ unpack and jettison, at the check-in desk is not the most relaxing start to any holiday. Bathroom scales never seem to quite get it right!
First things first- check to see what is available at your holiday destination! It might be you don’t have to bring some items, as they will be already in situ for you.
Take a look at our top 10 essentials
- A lightweight buggy is a must, many airlines will include them in your baggage allowance, but to be on the safe side, check with the airline beforehand. Choose ones that fold easily and can lie flat. Taking a buggy with you will make things far easier, both before you get on board (you can bring baby up to the boarding gate in it) and when you are away, as it can also double up as a high chair if applicable.
- We all love something new and babies are no different! So pack a new toy/book in your hand luggage to help keep your little one occupied. Best to avoid any noisy toys as you might find your fellow passengers are not so happy to quack, oink and moo as much as you are!
- If you wanna be adorned – think about wearing a silicon teething necklace! They can help keep your baby entertained during the flight and are considered safe for teething babies.
- Baby wipes are key pieces of baby equipment. They not only mop up spills and nappy explosions, but they are useful ways to keep surfaces clean too, if you want added assurance.
- If you are bottle feeding your baby, take some sterilising tablets with you and be sure to also check what is permissible to take on board and through security. (No one wants to travel with a hungry baby!)
- Take lots of bibs with you, these are very handy (and small, so don’t take up much space, whether in your hand luggage or main suitcase. If you are going somewhere hot, think about cotton bibs. Funky Giraffe do a great range of styles and materials, including cotton and bamboo bibs, which are perfect choices in hotter weather, as they are lightweight but very absorbent too. If you are travelling down under at all, they have recently opened Funky Giraffe Australia as well.
- If you can fit one in your luggage, think about including a UV pop-up tent. These don’t take up much room and you will have peace of mind you will always be able to put your baby in the shade.
- Sun hats and sun creams ( your baby will need their own special one) are vital to include, taking a lightweight blanket or shawl is also a good idea, as it can double up as a sunshade in the car, or provide effective layering if the temperature drops during the flight.
- How many clothes should you bring for your baby really will depend on what kind of washing facilities there will be. As a rule of thumb, it’s best to pack two outfits per day, plus some additional layering items, such as cardigans, long sleeved tops and jumpers.
- A mini medicine bag with Calpol, teething gels and teething rings.
And for the return journey? You will also be packing a whole set of new memories and wonderful first moments with your baby!